Angels for Children 2020 Toy Drive – 22nd Anniversary
Donations of toys are delivered to local children for Christmas by Santa and his helpers. This Toy Drive has provided toys for the less fortunate children in the Wheaton area for the past 21 years. Without your support, this tremendous project would not be possible.
In 1998, a pre-Christmas fire left a Wheaton family devastated. To assist the family, the Wheaton Volunteer Rescue Squad requested donations of toys, food and cash to help them get resettled. The community outpouring was so generous, there were extra toys which were given to low-income children throughout the community. And a tradition was born!
Download Angels for Children Flyer
For the 2020 holiday season, you could donate toys or funds to support the program – or volunteer.
2020 Toy Donation Drop-off box locations
- ACE Strosnider’s Hardware, 10504 Connecticut Ave, Kensington, MD 20895
- ACORN Self Storage, 11015 West Ave, Kensington, MD 20895
- Chuck Levin’s Washington Music Center, 1151 Veirs Mill Road, Wheaton, MD 20902
- Elbe’s Beer & Wine, 2522 University Blvd W, Wheaton, MD 20902
- Hugo Salon, 2901 University Blvd W, Wheaton, MD 20902
- Filippo’s Italian Specialities, 11224 Triangle Lane, Wheaton, MD 20902
- IHOP Wheaton, 2526 University Blvd. West, Wheaton, MD 20902
- Los Chorros Restaurant, 2420 Blueridge Avenue, Wheaton, MD 20902
- Mid-County Regional Services Office, 2425 Reedie Drive, Wheaton, MD 20902
- Northwood Presbyterian Child Care Center, 1200 University Blvd. West, Silver Spring, MD 20902
- Wheaton Studio of Dance, 11216 Triangle Lane, Wheaton, MD 20902
- Wheaton Volunteer Rescue Squad, 2400 Arcola Avenue, Wheaton, MD 20902
Download 2020 Angels for Children Drop-off Locations Flyer
For monetary donations, make checks payable to
Wheaton & Kensington Chamber of Commerce
and reference Angels for Children
Mail to: Wheaton & Kensington Chamber of Commerce
2401 Blueridge Ave, Suite 101
Wheaton, MD 20902
~ Or donate online below ~
2020 Volunteers were needed for:
- DONATE – Buy gifts and drop them off at local locations.
- The last date to drop off donations in Wheaton area boxes was Friday, December 18, 2020.
- Gift cards were also welcome – from FiveBelow, iTunes, Target, GameStop, Best Buy, Bath & Bodyworks, and Walmart in $10 increments.
- – Please do NOT drop gift cards into collection boxes.
Send cards by mail to Eva Dillon, MHP, 12200 Tech Road, #250, Silver Spring, MD 20904.
- PLEASE NOTE: Due to overwhelming popularity and COVID-related limits on gathering, all of our volunteer slots are now FULL. We are grateful to the community for the tremendous interest in helping others. Please consider getting involved by donating gifts or supporting our campaign financially. Thank you!
- Gift Collection – Pick up toy donations from boxes at businesses and other public places and deliver them to the “workshop”.
- Wrapping Days – Wrap and sort over 1,000 toys beginning December 7. Slots are limited; masks are mandatory and compliance with hygiene and social distancing practices is required.
- Distribution Days – Slots to help serve as elves to distribute gifts (in a distanced way) for several days prior to December 25.
- Sign up to volunteer.
To help with pickups, or if you can place a donation box in your business, contact , Toy Drive Coordinator-MHP, at 301-332-8540.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
What kinds of gifts/toys do we need in 2020?
We are looking at doing $10 gift cards only for children over the age of 10 (we would give each child 2 cards, but wanted maximum flexibility).
- Infants: educational toys, Baby items, onesies, sleepers, musical crib mobiles, interactive crib toys, rattles.
- 2-4 year olds: any educational toys, any musical learning toy, Legos®/Duplo blocks or Mega blocks, trains, building blocks, Playmobile®, musical toys, dolls of color, Dora the Explorer, Batman, anything Disney, Power Rangers, VTech Race & Play Adventure Park, larger size cars.
- 5-7 year olds: Legos® sets, Legos® Friends, Playmobile®, CPSYUB RC Flying Ball Toys, basketball, soccer ball, baseball/bat, cars, trucks, cars, action figures, dolls, train sets, arts & crafts kits, ink stamp kits, coloring books with markers, Disney movies, parking garage play sets.
- 7-9 year olds: Robots, Transformers, Sporting baseball caps, Legos® sets, MP3 players, arts & crafts kits, watches, hair accessories, nail polish, boys showering gel, girls and boys bath/lotion sets, craft/bead kits, purses, diaries, model kits (cars, planes, boats), science kits, movies rated G-PG/PG13, baseball/bat.
- 10 and older: ($10 increment is suggested) gift-cards to Target, Best Buy, Walmart, Bath and Body Works, Kohl’s, etc.
- (No toy guns or weapons can be accepted.)
- And for all ages: books, games, puzzles!