The Office of Advocacy of the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is an independent voice for small business within the federal government. Small Business Data Resources is a valuable tool for researchers, policymakers, small business trade associations, and members of the media interested in small businesses’ role in the economy.
The tool is a concise summary listing of many of the most used federal government agencies, as well as non-government private sector, university, nonprofit, international, and other sources. Key topics include demographics, employment, exports, finance, firm size data, firms and establishments, health care, income and sales, pension coverage, taxes, and training.
Quick and easy access to statistics, and provides selected demographic and economic statistics from the American Community Survey. Search by geography, including incorporated places like cities and towns and census designated places. View detailed race, age and gender breakdowns, and compare communities.
QuickFacts site with American Community Survey statistics – find information about a town, county or state.
Small Business/Self-Employed Tax Center has tools designed for small business owners and self-employed individuals.
- IRS video portal with webinars and presentations
- IRS Twitter accounts
- Tax Information for Tax Professionals
3409 Annex 6401, Security Boulevard, Baltimore, MD 21235
LexisNexis® Martindale-Hubbell has been the world’s leading source of information for the legal and business professions for more than 140 years. Resources are available for business news, risk management information, company profiles, and more. Learn more through the free white papers and links to free resources in the LexisNexis online community.
- LexisNexis Red Flags Rulecan help businesses comply with the FACT Act Identity Theft Red Flags Rule. Reveal patterns, practices and suspicious activities that may indicate the possibility of identity theft.
- LexisNexis Risk Management provides a wide-ranging collection of intelligence and analytics to professionals who need to protect and grow their organization.
- LexisNexis Identity Fraudhelps reduce compliance risk and prevent losses due to identity theft.
- LexisNexis Company Profilesand find Corporate Affiliations.
SCORE® Counseling Available
SCORE: Service Corps of Retired Executives is a nationwide nonprofit volunteer association of over 10,500 retired and active small business owners, executives and professionals. As a resource partner of the U.S. Small Business Administration, it provides free counseling to small businesses. The Washington, DC Chapter has over 50 members experienced in owning and operating both small and large businesses in almost every field.
Start-ups and small businesses call for a FREE counseling session at the location in the Wheaton Library, call 240-777-0678 to make an appointment.
On Wednesdays and Thursdays, 4 appointments available: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. For information on the SCORE program, workshops, and other information, visit the SCORE websiteor call 202-272-0390.
Montgomery Business Development Corporation website includes business-friendly features, data resources and information to support existing and future business and development. Has tools to see available sites or leasable space throughout the County. Also extensive demographic information.
Montgomery Business Development Corporation 240-339-3903
22 Baltimore Road, Rockville, MD 20850
Or call 311 – Access information and create or track service requests of County government info.
Local Small Business Reserve Program (LSBRP) is designed to help small businesses in Montgomery County obtain work with the county (which looks to allocate 20% of business to small business). Small businesses can find out how to get notified of upcoming procurements, downloading and accessing procurements, and viewing abbreviated scopes of the procurements.
Important Notices related to County construction projects – buildings, not roads.
Search for commercial office space and sites in Montgomery County using the online search tool. Select “Search Buildings” or “Search Sites” and enter criteria to begin search.
The center offers Programs and Services for Adults 18 years and Older; located at 21 Maryland Ave, Rockville, MD 20850. They’ve had many years of Service and Advocacy – helping women in the County with life and work transitions. For office hours and more information, call 240-777-8300.
Office oversees redevelopment and revitalization activities. Wheaton is poised for significant growth. If you are interested in capitalizing on that growth, numerous incentives are available to assist business currently located in or wishing to relocate to the Wheaton Area. For assistance with these incentives, contact , Manager, Business Development, Wheaton Redevelopment Program, at 240-777-8126.
- Wheaton Enterprise Zone – this tax incentive program, established in late 1998, is being used to attract and expand the base of downtown businesses and encourage new developments and jobs in the downtown.
- Green Tape Zone – expedited land use and building permit approvals can be arranged for prospective new developments and businesses in the downtown. Marketing and Promotional Brochures – are being disseminated to raise visibility of downtown Wheaton and familiarize the public with its assets. Among these are the Wheaton Marketing Brochure, Wheaton Redevelopment Brochure and site tour booklets for business prospects.
- Main Street Strategy Area – provides additional redevelopment/revitalization opportunities. Located in the center of the downtown business district, it contains a large inventory of older retail sites and strip shopping centers that could be revitalized or redeveloped in the future.
A County Executive Initiative that opened its doors in Wheaton on September 8, 2001. Its mission is to provide an opportunity for all residents of Montgomery County to gain a better understanding and deeper appreciation for the variety of cultures that make up our community. As well as to provide an open, supportive and hospitable environment that affirms the County’s multiculturalism and foster a sense of belonging among all in our community. The Center serves as a central point of contact for services and programs available throughout the County, governmental and nongovernmental – in particular for new immigrants and new residents to the County.
Since its opening, the Gilchrist Center has served clients from over 60 different countries. Some of the specific programs offered include: New Americans Welcome Center Cultural Programs; Small Business Development Information and classes; and the Cultural Ambassador Program. The Center serves over one thousand clients a month from its location at 2424 Reedie Drive, Wheaton, MD 20902. For more information, contact 240-777-4940.
- Education, Training and Development – Montgomery College offers the best value for your training needs, and has business training centers in Gaithersburg, Wheaton, and Silver Spring. Endless possibilities that are affordable, practical, and convenient.
- Professional and Workforce Development courses in:
- AP Institute / The College Board
- Management Development
- Maryland Safety Programs
- Diversity Management Institute
- Professional Licensure
- Instituto Hispano de Negocios y Entrenamiento (Hispanic Business & Training Institute)
- Sales & Marketing
- Small Business Development